St. Pius X Parish Elementary School is located in Santa Fe Springs, California, situated in the southeastern part of Los Angeles County, in the San Pedro Region of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. The school is located in a mixed suburban and industrial community. The St. Pius X Parish boundaries encompass all of Santa Fe Springs and a portion of Norwalk situated north of Imperial Highway, west of Norwalk Boulevard and east of Studebaker Road.
St. Pius X Parish School opened in September, 1955 with an enrollment of 100 first grade students. Classes began in two classrooms secured on lease from St. Marianne’s School in Pico Rivera. By the fall of 1960, the school had become a double-graded program from first through eighth grade. The first graduating class received their diplomas in June of 1961. Gradually, the school narrowed down to single-graded classes in the mid 1970’s, and the last double-graded class graduated in June of 1982.
The Sisters of Mercy staffed the school until June of 1988. The first lay principal was hired in the summer of 1988, and the school has continued under the leadership of lay administration since. The school library was opened in the fall of 1982. It has become fully automated and has been staffed by a full time librarian since 1987. The librarian coordinates and monitors the school’s Accelerated Reader Program and works closely with the teachers to ensure student success. In the fall of 1987 the computer lab was opened, and was later upgraded in 1999. In the winter of 2005 a wireless network and server were installed. The computer lab is cont